Overseas & Expat Buyers
Cohen Handler are specialists in working with buyers from outside Australia.
Whether you’re relocating to Sydney or Melbourne for the first time, returning from years overseas or looking to invest in the Sydney property market or in Melbourne property, our services are specifically designed to make the process as simple and successful as possible.
- Identifying your needs
- Recommending suitable suburbs
- Suburb profiles: schools, transport, amenities
- Searching property listed by all Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane real estate agents
- Finding the right property through our access to off-market and pre-market listings
- Providing detailed property reports
- Arranging inspections and searches
- Referrals for and liaison with lawyers, mortgage brokers, tax consultants and insurers
- Negotiation with agents or owners
- Auction bidding
Finding the right property
Before any recommendation is made we inspect each property and present a detailed report including photos, floor plans and location guides. If you are visiting Sydney to inspect property we’ll arrange everything to suit your timetable. If friends, relatives or colleagues are inspecting for you – we’ll ensure their time is well spent.
Negotiating on your behalf
The full force of our extensive local experience will ensure the best price with terms and conditions that suit your particular circumstances.
Moving to Australia for the first time?
Our services are designed to make sure you can start enjoying your time in Sydney as quickly as possible.
- Get the right information so you know you are paying the right price.
- Benefit from our local knowledge and experience.
- Take advantage of our negotiating skills.
- Access professional services (such lawyers and mortgage brokers) from reputable companies.
If you are not an Australian citizen and do not have permanent residency there are limitations on the type of property you can buy. Your purchase must be approved by the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).
The main property investment options for foreign buyers:
- Existing properties – You must hold a temporary resident visa in Australia for more than 12 months and must live in the property and then sell the property once you leave Australia, your visa expires or you no longer occupy the property.
- New & ‘off the plan’ properties – If a property has not previously been occupied or sold and is part of a development, or is an ‘off-the-plan’ purchase, then purchase by a foreign investor may be approved as long as no more than 50% of the properties in the development have been sold to foreign interests.
- Vacant land – Continuous development on the land must begin within 12 months of receiving foreign investment approval.
Only property that you can legally buy will be selected for your consideration. We are happy to explain all your available options in more detail.